August 18, 2021
Digitalization has transformed the world and is present in almost every field. A significant segment of digitalization is Artificial Intelligence. As per the World Economic Forum, AI is disrupting nearly every industry in every country. With many sectors employing artificial intelligence, healthcare is yet to achieve AI’s full potential.
AI finds its way in the medical field in the patient’s health diagnoses and asserting the adverse effects of medications. Apart from this, AI is employed in robotic surgery to obtain the best results from minimally invasive surgeries.
In October 2017, UAE appointed the first Minister of State for AI, making the nation the first country ever in the world to have a designated Minister for AI. The main aim behind the formation of the UAE AI council is to create a highly productive and innovative environment for investment into AI in the UAE. Since then, the UAE continues to witness an increasing use of AI in the healthcare sector.
The UAE Government has been very supportive, encouraging and proactive for using AI in healthcare. Through their various governmental policies, they have expressed their desire to be at the front foot of AI technology.
Some innovations using AI in healthcare in the UAE
- The governmental staff building will roll out the project “The Body of Health.” These are analysis pods to assist the staff in monitoring the health and detect early signs of illnesses.
- An app by Babylon, which uses AI to provide 24/7 video consultancy to patients worldwide, will soon be available in the UAE.
- Health Care and Innovative New Technology (HINT) neuro band will help detect strokes.
- The flow cell sensors by Admetsys will be installed in ICU to alert doctors of any sudden drops in the vitals of patients admitted in the ICU.
UAE is not only implementing AI in the healthcare sector but also making new policies to regulate the guidelines. In May 2018, the Department of Health (DOH) introduced a new approach to govern AI.
Highlights of the guidelines
The department of health requires all kinds of AI, and its tools introduced:
- To obtain certification from recognized international agencies before rolling out
- To comply with the regulations led down by Abu Dhabi Smart Solutions and Services Authority (ADSSSA)
- Equip the AI used in healthcare with Degradation mechanisms by integrating automatic alerts in the event of any hardware or software malfunctioning of the device
- The AI device or technology should have continuous cycles of improvements and updates. The feedback should be sent to the Drug and medical Products Regulation Department, DoH, and the manufacturing company
- The AI technology should be auditable
- The technology should be in compliance with all the policies by the DOH Health Information Exchange Policy, especially about the terms of privacy and transparency
These guidelines and principles laid down by the Government will ensure the smooth functioning of AI technology in the healthcare domain in the UAE and will, in turn, create space for more and more uptake of AI in healthcare. As per DelveInsight’s analysis, these events will positively affect the market by boosting the revenue of the healthcare market in the UAE.
Source: DelveInsight – www.delveinsight.com